Sunday, December 7, 2014

EXTREME AIRPLANE JITTERS


AIRPLANE JITTERS

Renée A. Hermiz

INT. AIRPLANE – DAY

MIKE and LARRY sit next to each other on airplane; Mike at window, Larry on aisle. Mike fidgets. Larry reads.

MIKE
It’s so hard to get comfortable on these planes – I rarely fly.

LARRY
Key is to just stay calm, try to relax and keep control.

Mike leans his arm too much over the armrest between them, so that his elbow pokes Larry. Larry reacts.

MIKE
Right. Oh – sorry! ‘been 15 years since I flew last. Last minute wedding in Seattle, where I’m from. Sis is eloping – crazy! Usually I take the train, but—

LARRY
Hey, look, friend, I’ve really gotta get some work done, so …

MIKE
Ohhh, oh right. My bad. Lips sealed. Now, how does this work?

Mike talks to himself as he tries to get the tray in front of him down. Having trouble, he disturbs person in front.

DANIELLE
Hey can you stop jerking the seat? How hard is it to unlatch the tray?

MIKE
Oop! Easier than I thought. Sorry about that – got it down. (beat) Boy, is this seat a piston?!

Larry annoys all around him as he tries to recline his seat. Once he does, the person behind him reacts.

SAMMY
Ow! You just slammed back on my knees, man. Ease up, yo.

MIKE
Right. Sorry all. I’m set now.

Mike reaches under front seat for his chip. Bag opens loudly; every time he reaches for a new one, bag sounds.

MIKE (cont)
I forgot how confining plane’s are. I remember when – oh. Sorry, I said I’ll keep quiet – zipped.

LARRY
Thanks. And would you mind pouring your chips on a napkin so I don’t have to hear the bag crinkle every time you reach in?

MIKE
Sure! Didn’t even think of it.

Mike pours chips on napkin and tucks bag quietly away. He pulls out his ipod and starts listening. Music is loud.

LARRY
Ok, see, now you’re music’s too loud.

MIKE
Touchy, touchy. Even Mozart, huh?

LARRY
Anything at that level is disruptive. Don’t you realize how loud you’re being?

DANIELLE
Yep, I can hear it up here.

SAMMY
And I can hear it back here.

LARRY
See man? That means you gotta turn it down. Look, we’ve got a long flight ahead. Most of us aren’t comfortable; try to stay still?

MIKE
I just get so nervous, trying to keep myself busy with things so I don’t think about crashing.

LARRY
We’re not going to crash. How about this? Why don’t you sleep?

MIKE
Well, I never have on a plane.

LARRY
Just lay back, close your eyes and we’ll be landed before you know it.

MIKE
Ok, I’ll try. Just lay back …

Mike closes eyes, falling asleep. He snores illustriously.

LARRY
Hey! HEY! Wake up. What, is it engrained in you to be annoying?

MIKE
What? What did I do?

LARRY
You snore like thunder with a flu.

MIKE
Well, it’s because I’m on edge, ok?! Ugh. You people are so demanding. You’re ganging up on me.

LARRY, DANIELLE, SAMMY
No, we’re not. That’s not how it is.

MIKE
Yes it is. I’m scared. Can’t you understand? I’m trying! I’ve extended every courtesy I could.

LARRY
All right. You know what? Why don’t we start over, k?

MIKE
I guess! I’ll give this another chance but, I have to get up, first and pee this outta my system.

Larry gets up to let Mike out, who awkwardly leaves aisle. But, he comes immediately back, disturbing all again.

LARRY
What was that about? You didn’t even go!

MIKE
(testily) Someone is in there.

LARRY, DANIELLE, SAMMY
Then wait for them to get out!

MIKE
There is no waiting in the aisle!

SAMMY
Yes, you can, dipshit. The seatbelt sign is off.

DANIELLE
It’s common sense – hello.

Mike hesitates uncomfortably in Larry’s space.

MIKE
I can’t, the attendant is coming.

LARRY
She’s just doing drinks. Go!

Mike goes and is gone for a long beat. Odor comes from bathroom.

LARRY
I can’t breathe!

Mike opens bathroom door. All reel from smell. Masks drop.

ATTENDANT (V/O)
Everyone please remain calm and breathe through the gas masks. This plane is heading down for an emergency landing due to air contamination. Don’t panic; you may pass out.

Mike stands awkwardly in aisle, not needing a mask.

MIKE
Geez, I’m really sorry about this everyone. How embarrassing … I was just holding in so much anxiety …

Some fall to ground, Larry included, trying vainly to reach for Mike’s throat, screaming in mask, but he passes out.

BLACKOUT.





No comments:

Post a Comment